Sunday, April 3, 2011

Winter in Wartime


Movie: Winter in Wartime
Genre: war drama
Synopsis: This movie takes place in the winter of 1945 in Nazi-occupied Holland.  When an British warplane crashes, the pilot manages to escape.  In the nearby town, Michiel is the 14-year-old son of the town mayor.  He discovers the downed pilot and decides to help him escape the country.  The escape plan does not go as well as he planned, and Michiel is forced to enlist the aid of his sister.  A subplot follows the relationship between Michiel and his father.  Michiel is ashamed of how his father seems to be happy to work with the Nazis, while his father is trying to get his town through the war with as few casualties as possible.

My two cents: This movie did not do much for me.  I would like to think that when I was 14,  I would have had the good sense to not attempt something like this escape on my own – and if I did, to have planned it better.  It was interesting to see how Michiel discovered that his father was much more of a man than he thought – but not enough to make it worth my time.

Bottom line: given a second chance, I would skip this movie.

[70]

No comments:

Post a Comment