Friday, December 10, 2010

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra


Movie: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
I saw it on: August 9, 2009
Cast: Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Rachel Nichols, Sienna Miller, Christopher Eccleston, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
Genres: Action Thriller, Action
Synopsis: Dennis Quaid plays the commander of G.I. Joe (Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity) - a multi-national U.N. anti-terrorist unit.  Sort of like international Special Forces.  Duke (Channing Tatum) and Ripcord (Marlon Wayons) are new recruits to the unit.  Four warheads containing a new nanotechnolgy are stolen.  The warheads contain tiny nano-things (I guess “tiny” is kind of redundant when describing a nano-something) that are capable of consuming anything in their path – such as the Eiffel Tower.  The bad guys are using the same nanotechnology to create an army of soldiers.

Much fighting and a lot of explosions ensue as the good guys battle the evil-doers.

My two cents:  I was really interested in the casting.  I always like Dennis Quaid.  One of the soldiers was played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt – who, since Third Rock, has proved to be quite an actor.  You may remember Channing Tatum from the “Fighting” and “Public Enemies”.  The Lost fans should pick out Mr. Ecko as another solider.  Marlon Wayons was a surprise as yet another G.I. Joe soldier – he made me forget he was a Wayon’s (not meant to be a dig).  Sienna Miller was great as The Baroness.  I was stuck on who played `“Scarlett” – another G.I. Joe.  It was Rachel Nichols – an alumni of “Alias”

The premise – specifically the nanotechnology - was a bit of a stretch.  I was also a little skeptical at the speed with which the new recruits became vital members of the G.I. Joe force.  But if you are willing to turn a blind eye to things like that, it is kind of a fun movie.  A LOT of things get blown up – or eaten by the nano-critters.  Also some great ninja-type fighting.  You get to go back to the 1600’s to see the origin of the current bad guy and you get to see the origin of Cobra.

All in all, I liked the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment